Equivalences obligatoires


To assess a job, training or to return to secondary education

When should I submit my file ?

The file may be submitted at any time of the year, providing that a proof is enclosed that the application has a completely different objective than continuing higher education.



How should I forward my file ?

- First option: Send the file by post (the postal stamp is proof).
Service des équivalences de l'enseignement obligatoire
Rue A. Lavallée, 1
1080 Brussels

- Second option: Bring the complete file to the offices of the Equivalence department of secondary education, only by appointment. Only the complete files (both in content and format) will be received at the counter during an appointment.

You can make an appointment:

  • by telephone on 02/690.86.86



Which documents to supply ?

1)    Your end of studies certificate and the associated summary of marks

These two documents must be submitted as certified copies.

2)    A document that proves that the purpose of your application is a search for employment, enrolment in vocational training or a return to secondary education

An ORIGINAL and nominative proof that your application is submitted in view of:
-    finding employment (ONEM registration, Actiris...)
-    obtaining self employed status (certificate of a guichet d’entreprise (company counter)...)
-    registering for vocational training (social promotion, FOREM...)
-    enrolling in secondary education (certificate issued by the school)

3)    A copy of your identity card or of an excerpt of your birth certificate.

4)    A covering letter or justification form

A letter drawn up in French and signed with your names, first names, address and the purpose of your application.

5)    An original proof of access to higher education

6)    The ORIGINAL proof of payment of the administrative fee

The administrative fee for an equivalence application are 200 €. By way of derogation of the above, those fees amount to 150€ for the countries in this list.

You can pay the administrative costs online. Please print the proof of transaction and enclose it with your letter for equivalence application.

If you don’t pay online click here.



How should I have my documents certified ?

Find out everything about the certification procedure.



How should I have my documents translated ?

If your documents are written in French, German, English, Spanish (Castellan), Italian, Dutch or Portuguese, they do not need translating.

All the above mentioned documents written in another language (except the proof of payment) must be translated into French.

Find out everything about the translation procedure.


The file may be submitted at any time of the year, providing that a proof is enclosed that the application has a completely different objective than continuing secondary education.

If you deposit your file at our office after making a previous appointment, your file will only be accepted if it is complete. If necessary a proof of deposit will be issued.

You can send us you file by post, the Equivalence Department. will give you:

  • if your file is complete: the result of the analysis of your file and your decision of equivalence will be sent to the address you indicated in your file;
  • if your file is not complete: a request for additional information to complete your file.

As soon as the favourable decision is sent out to you, the equivalence decision will be supplied as soon as possible.




Haut de page


Prenez rendez-vous avec le service des équivalences secondaires
Suivre l'évolution de mon dossier
Faites votre paiement en ligne
Vous êtes satisfait? Faites le savoir en répondant au questionnaire.
Retour vers la page "je n'ai pas terminé mes études secondaires"
Retour vers la page "j'ai un diplôme paramédical obtenu à l'étranger"
Retour vers le site des équivalences non-obligatoires