Equivalences non obligatoires


Application for professional recognition of teacher qualifications obtained in a country of the European Economic Area

You wish to exercise the regulated profession of teacher in Wallonia-Brussels Federation (at pre-primary, primary, secondary and non-university level of education), you are a national of a member state of the European economic Area and fully qualified teacher in the sense of the European directive 2005/36/CE relating to the recognition of the professional qualifications.

The procedure entails the availability of various information about your qualifications. This collection of information aims to establish:

  • that your higher education degree complies with the European directive 2005/36/CE relating to the recognition of professional qualifications;
  • the type of qualification required in your country for exercising the profession as fully qualified teacher (degree alone, degree + examination, etc.);
  • the disciplines that you are full qualified to teach;
  • the level of education (pre-primary, primary, secondary and non-university) for which you are full qualified to teach.

Our service is at your disposal to answer all your questions and to inform you about the possibilities of recognition of your teaching qualifications in the school system of the Federation Wallonia-Brussels.

The procedure of professional recognition is subject to fee (65 euros).

When your application is complete, it will be submitted to the evaluation of a specific consultative body (Commission des titres pour l'accès aux fonctions enseignantes). Based on this advice, the administration will prepare a draft decision that will be submitted to the Minister for final decision. The signed decision will be sent to you by registered letter.

In terms of delays, once all the requested documents are provided, the service has legally a maximum one month to acknowledge receipt of your file and 3 months to send your application to the consultative body.

Professional recognition decisions may be appealed to the Conseil d'Etat for annulment.  

The services of the Ombudsman of Wallonia and the Federation Wallonia-Brussels are also at your disposal for any information relating to the contestation of an administrative decision (https://le-mediateur.be ).

Retour vers le site des équivalences obligatoires