Equivalences obligatoires


To continue higher education in the French Community

When should I submit my file ?

Your file must be submitted between 15 November 2022 and 15 July 2023 AT THE LATEST (postal stamp is proof).

If you cannot comply with the limit date of deposit, please refer to the section “Derogation possibilities”.

-    Submit your file as soon as possible and don’t wait until the last few days.
-    If you already hold a certificate, submit your file as from 15 November 2022
-    Submit your file by registered letter

How should I forward my file?

- First option: Send the file by post (the postal stamp is proof).

Service des équivalences de l'enseignement obligatoire
Rue A. Lavallée, 1
1080 Brussels

- Second option: Deposit the complete file at the offices of the Equivalence department of secondary education, only by appointment. Only the complete files (both in content and format) will be accepted at the counter during an appointment.

You can make an appointment:

  • by telephone on 02/690.86.86

-We strongly recommend to send all the documents together by registered mail.
-We strongly recommend to check the file submission deadlines before making an appointment.

Which documents to supply ?

1)    Your end of studies certificate and the associated summary of marks
These two documents must be submitted as certified copies.

2)    A copy of your identity card or of an excerpt of your birth certificate

3)    A covering letter or justification form
A letter in French signed with your names, first names, address that motivates the type and field of studies you wish to start.

4)    An original proof of access to higher education
In Rwanda, Guinea (Conakry) and Senegal, access to higher education is not free. If you hold a Baccalaureate degree, you effectively must pass a selection process.

It is therefore recommended to supply a document proving that you had access to higher education in the country where you obtained your Baccalaureate certificate (proof of enrolment, passing certificate...)

5)    The ORIGINAL proof of payment of the administrative fee.
The administrative fee for an equivalence application amounts to 150 €.
This sum must be paid before 15 July 2023.

You can pay the administrative costs online. Please print the proof of transaction and enclose it with your letter for equivalence application.
If you don’t pay online click here.

How should I have my documents translated ?

All the above mentioned documents written in Chinese (except the proof of payment) must be translated.

Find out everything about the translation procedure.


Haut de page


How do I get my original documents back ?

Find out everything about the return of original documents.




To start Higher Education in the French-speaking community as from September 2023, the period for submitting the files runs from 15 November 2022 and 15 July 2023 at the latest.

If you deposit your file at our office after making a previous appointment, your file will only be accepted if it is complete.You will then receive a proof of deposit.

You can send us you file by post, the Equivalence Department. will give you:

  • if it is complete: a favourable or negative advice on granting equivalence that will allow you, in certain cases, to enrol in various Universities or Higher Schools of the French community. The result of your file analysis and your equivalence decision will be sent to the address you indicated in your file;
  • if it is not complete: a request for additional information.to complete your file.

The equivalences will be issued as from 1 March 2023.


Haut de page


Decree 30%

From the academic year 2012-2013 the Decree restricts to 30% the number of non-resident students
in the courses leading to the following academic degrees:

  • In Universities:

- bachelor in physiotherapy and rehabilitation;
- bachelor in veterinary sciences;
- bachelor in psychological sciences and Education speech therapy orientation
- bachelor in medicine;
- bachelor in dentistry sciences

  • In the Higher Schools:

- bachelor in kinesiotherapy

--> Please read the circular non-residents (.pdf) for more information.


Haut de page


Prenez rendez-vous avec le service des équivalences secondaires
Suivre l'évolution de mon dossier
Faites votre paiement en ligne
Vous êtes satisfait? Faites le savoir en répondant au questionnaire.
Retour vers la page "je n'ai pas terminé mes études secondaires"
Retour vers la page "j'ai un diplôme paramédical obtenu à l'étranger"
Retour vers le site des équivalences non-obligatoires