Equivalences obligatoires


I wish to continue my education

When should I submit my file ?

There is no deadline to apply for a school documents equivalence that do not confirm the end of of the secondary education cycle.

It therefore may be submitted at any time of the year, but we recommend to forward your full application to us in the month following the registration of the student in the school.



How should I forward my file ?

Contact a secondary school of your choice and it will deal with submitting your request for equivalence by transmitting it directly to the Equivalence Department.
You can find a school in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation by using the directory of education and scientific research



Which documents to supply ?

1)    The form in annex to the circular on the equivalence of foreign primary and secondary education

The form must be completed in full by the school and imperatively indicate the arrival date of the student in the school as well as the study year it is intended to enrol the student.

2)    The report cards of the last three school years

These documents must be submitted as certified copies. Procedures:

* In Belgium :

  • The Direction of the school in the French community
  • The equivalence department by presenting your original documents.
  • At your town hall if you live in Belgium.


* Abroad:

  • Have a certified copy made by a competent officer at the Municipal administration (or town hall) of the country you are in.
  • the signature of that officer will be legalised by the Foreign Affairs minister.  For countriesthat signed the Convention of the Hague, the signature of the officer will be apostilised according to the Convention of The Hague of 5 October 1961.
  • the signature of the officer of Foreign Affairs will then be legalised by the apostile (Convention de La Haye du 5 octobre 1961).

3)    A copy of your identity card or of an excerpt of your birth certificate.

4)    The ORIGINAL proof of payment of the administrative fee.

The administrative fee amounts to 76 €.

You can pay the administrative costs online. Please print the proof of transaction and enclose it with your letter for equivalence application.

If you don’t pay online click here.



How should I have my documents translated ?

If your documents are written in French, German, English, Spanish (Castellan), Italian, Dutch or Portuguese, they do not need translating.

If your documents (except the proof of payment) are written in another language, they must be translated into French.

Find out everything about the translation procedure.


Haut de page


Prenez rendez-vous avec le service des équivalences secondaires
Suivre l'évolution de mon dossier
Faites votre paiement en ligne
Vous êtes satisfait? Faites le savoir en répondant au questionnaire.
Retour vers la page "j'ai pas terminé mes études secondaires"
Retour vers la page "j'ai un diplôme paramédical obtenu à l'étranger"
Retour vers le site des équivalences non-obligatoires